News

Kent lockdown follows stabbing

An inmate at Kent was stabbed Friday morning, leading to a lock down of the maximum security institution.

The victim received first aid and was airlifted to hospital. Two weapons were retrieved from the scene and an investigation has begun. There were no other injuries during this incident, prison officials said. The prison is in a lock down and all visit canceled until it is deemed safe to reopen.

Kent stabbing lockdown Agassiz murder airlift

The stabbing followed on the heels of yesterday's announcement that four Kent inmates are being charged with murder.

In a press release issued Thursday evening, RCMP said that "four Kent Maximum Security inmates have been charged with murder following a 2008 stabbing incident at the prison that left two men injured and one dead.

"On November 13, 2008 Kent Maximum Security Institution reported a stabbing incident to the Agassiz office of the Upper Fraser Valley Regional RCMP Detachment involving seven inmates from the prison.

"Three of the inmates were injured in the melee, two of which were transported by BC Ambulance to an outside hospital to be treated for serious injuries. The third male, 27-year-old Andrew Robert CRAIG, was pronounced dead at the scene.

"The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team immediately took conduct of the murder investigation. In part, the investigation involved compiling a complete background investigation on all those involved in the incident as well as an extensive analysis of CCTV footage of the incident. Once a completed investigation was forwarded to Crown Counsel Charges, were approved and sworn.

"Charged with one count each of first-degree murder are: 26-year-old Terence Robert Bolton, 31-year-old Franjo (Frank) Perovic, 33-year-old Scott Edward Sanderson and 29-year-old Nicholas Adam St. Hilaire.

"At the time of the murder, Bolton was serving a five year sentence for manslaughter, PEROVIC was serving a life sentence for first-degree murder, SANDERSON was serving a six year sentence for aggravated assault and St. Hilaire was serving a five year sentence for manslaughter and conspiracy to commit murder.

"At the time the charge was approved, all inmates were still incarcerated with the exception of St. Hilaire. He had been out of prison for several months. St. HILAIRE was arrested by members of IHIT with the assistance of the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team on Tuesday May 18, 2011. The arrest went without incident."

More information on this website as the story develops.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Tipped truck at Teapot
 
Harriet and Friday found in Agassiz
 
Election 21014: Harrison candidates split on parking problem, again
Container recycling lags in Metro Vancouver
 
Child ejected as Surrey collision shears car in half
 
First-degree murder charge in 2013 South Surrey homicide
Kinder Morgan takes pipeline protesters to court
 
Thoughts of joy
 
Legion’s annual poppy campaign now in full bloom

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.