News

Disaster averted at Agassiz thrift shop

It was a close call for the Agassiz Harrison Community Services Thrift Store on Jan. 2, when items left for donation were set ablaze by an unknown firebug.

Fire Chief Wayne Dire said somebody noticed that a few mattresses that were leaning up against the building were on fire. The witness pulled the mattresses off the building and called 911.

The incident highlights the importance of only dropping off donations to thrift shops and other centres during open business hours.

"They don't want that stuff left out back," Dyer said. "Please do not leave items out in the back."

The Community Services could have lost its entire building. The profit from that building helps fund local services such as the food bank.

news@ahobserver.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Security stepped up in B.C. after attacks in Ottawa
 
Lockdown at research station in Agassiz following Ottawa shooting
 
Strahl safe following Parliament Hill shooting
VIDEO: Christmas Greetings from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper
 
Emission limits set for B.C. LNG producers
 
Council Candidate: Lorne Fisher running for re-election in District of Kent
Mayor candidate: John Van Laerhoven seeking relection in District of Kent
 
One last holdup on B.C. railway tracks
 
VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 16 edition online now. Browse the archives.