News

Agassiz home lost to fire

Fire crews from Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum worked to fight a fully engulfed fire at a mobile home on Wells Road on Monday afternoon.  - Jessica Peters/ Observer
Fire crews from Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum worked to fight a fully engulfed fire at a mobile home on Wells Road on Monday afternoon.
— image credit: Jessica Peters/ Observer

An Agassiz family of six is in need of a home for the holidays.

Their house was completely destroyed by fire Monday afternoon, despite a rapid response from three fire surrounding fire departments. Immediately, community members began looking for ways to help the family. A relative of the displaced family said the most pressing need will be a place a stay. They have four young children and several pets.

"Social services will only put them up for three days, then they told them to go to a shelter," Carol Perry, the children's grandmother wrote in an email from Ontario. "If anyone knows any place available for them to rent they would be great."

The family was renting a mobile home on Wells Road, and have chickens, pigs, a pony, a dog and a cat.

"They just really need to find a place to live," Perry said. "Once they get that, they will be okay."

She added she's just sent out her grandchildren's Christmas presents. However, the children are twin girls aged seven, a nine year old boy and a four year old boy.

The children attend Kent elementary school in Agassiz, and that school's principal announced on Tuesday they will be accepting donations for the family.

"One of our families needs our help," Chris Wejr wrote on the school's Facebook page. "Yesterday, one of our families' homes on a farm burnt down. They are all safe but sadly lost everything. They are currently living in a hotel until Thursday but are looking for a place to live/rent on a farm."

He asked that if people want to donate gently used clothing and household items, they could drop off at the school. The twins are a size 7/8, the older boy is a size 10 and the younger boy is a size 6/7.

Three fire halls (Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum) were on scene Monday afternoon, trying to knock down the flames at the Wells Road mobile home. Agassiz fire fighters stayed on scene through the evening to take care of hot spots, and returned for clean up on Tuesday.

The fire was caused by an older electrical heater, said Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer.

"It was going all day, every day," he said.

news@ahobserver.com

.

 

 

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 10 edition online now. Browse the archives.