City workers

Leak repaired in Agassiz

Fire crews and Fortis were on scene dealing with gas leak on Elm Road

Elm Road in Agassiz was partially closed off this afternoon, as fire crews and city workers dealt with a ruptured gas line.

Residents in a two block radius of the ruptured site were being contacted by fire crews, and emergency plans for an evacuation were being prepared.

The area affected included Glenwood Manor, a care home facility. While a plan was in place to evacuate the residents, the line has now been fixed and residents are returning to their suites.

A strong smell of natural gas was noticeable in the surrounding area, and several residents reported the smell.

If you ever smell natural gas, Fortis says to get outside and call 1-800-663-9911.