Occupants safe after dryer fire in Agassiz

Fire crews from Agassiz and Seabird respond to call

Two fire halls responded to a recent fire in Agassiz when the contents in a dryer caught on fire.

The fire happened at a residential home on Inkman Road Tuesday, April 14. Thirty firefighters from Agassiz and Seabird Island responded.

Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer says the fire was caused by a memory foam pillow.

“There was heavy smoke damage,” Dyer reports.

Seabird Island Fire Chief Gerald Basten says the timing of the call was ideal for Seabird’s response time as their practice night started at 7 p.m. and the callout came at 7:02 p.m. Basten reports that the home’s four occupants – two adults and two children – escaped without injury as well as the family dog.

One of the occupants had used a fire extinguisher and garden hose to attack the fire while waiting for crews to arrive.

“We removed the dryer from the house and removed any hazards,” says Basten. They also checked to ensure the fire did not extend into any void spaces such as within the walls.

The homeowner had cleaned the lint trap recently, and had working smoke detectors, according to Basten.

Kent-Harrison Emergency Social Services was called out to provide support to the homeowners. They were provided with accommodations while their home was professionally cleaned from the smoke damage.