Suspicious fire breaks out at Upstairs Hair

RCMP douse flames with fire extinguishers in early morning Agassiz blaze

Police are investigating a suspicious fire that broke out in a downtown Agassiz shop early Tuesday morning.

At about 3 a.m., a resident in the area called 911 to report a fire at Upstairs Hairdressing, at the east end of Pioneer Avenue. RCMP were the first to arrive, said Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer.

“They extinguished the fire,” he said. “It was a good save on their part.”

The RCMP members who responded to the call doused the flames with the fire extinguishers from their vehicles, and a garden hose from the neighbouring flower store.

Dyer said the fire is under investigation by both the fire department and the RCMP, and didn’t rule out the possibility that someone broke in, stole items, and then lit the fire before leaving.

Agassiz fire department arrived on scene shortly after the RCMP and helped to put out the rest of the fire and remove smoke.

While the flames were put out quickly, the salon was entirely damaged.

Anyone who may have witnessed incidents relating to the fire are asked to call the Agassiz RCMP at 604-796-2211.

news@ahobserver.com