Culture Days returns to the Fraser Valley from Sept. 22 to Oct. 15, and several events are planned in Mission, Abbotsford and Chilliwack.
The 14th annual celebration of arts and culture includes free or pay-what-you-may events for diverse audiences, some of which are suitable for all ages.
Registration remains open until Sept. 22. Regional artists and organizations are encouraged to sign up and participate by registering their low-barrier arts and culture events.
The Fraser Valley activities are among more than 400 events across 50 B.C. communities during Culture Days.
Abbotsford Mayor Ross Siemens said the city is proud to join other communities from coast to coast to celebrate culture, heritage and the arts.
“As the cultural and economic hub of the Fraser Valley, our community strives to embrace all of the unique cultures, backgrounds and voices that make up our city and encourages everyone to come out and enjoy a variety of workshops and fun arts and culture activities throughout Culture Days,” he said.
Activities in the Fraser Valley include artist Ember Muninn’s Book and Zine Making workshop on Sept. 22 at Matsqui Recreation in Abbotsford.
At the Lane Creek Park Ravine beside the Mission Library, artist Brenna Maag hosts an immersive art experience on Sept. 23 using the ancient technology of the camera obscura.
The activity offer participants of all ages a unique real-time photographic perspective of familiar surroundings.
In Chilliwack, residents can expect various family-friendly activities at Sardis Library (located at 5819 Tyson Rd.), all organized by the Fraser Valley Regional Library.
Other activities taking place during Culture Days include:
• Marriages and Migration: A Transnational Story of BC – Gur Sikh Gurdwara (33089 South Fraser Way), running throughout Culture Days
• Orange Shirt Beading at Abbotsford Recreation Centre (2499 McMillan Rd.) with Rebekah Brackett – Sept. 24 from 2 to 5 p.m.
• Collage Session with Abbotsford Youth Commission at Abbotsford Recreation Centre (ARC) with Batoya Ellis – Oct. 13 from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
• Cedar Cuff Weaving at ARC with Leonard Tiger Williams – Oct. 14 from 10 a.m. to noon
• Graphic Novel workshop at Clearbrook Library (32320 George Ferguson Way) with Alton Beach-Bradshaw – Oct. 15 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• Self-Guided Second Avenue Walking Tour – Mission Museum (33201 Second Ave.) for the duration of Culture Days
• Culture Hub at various locations along Second Avenue – Sept. 23 from noon to 4 p.m.
• The Mighty Mission Melange of Magnificence (A Variety Show) at Clarke Foundation Theatre (33700 Prentis Ave.) – Sept. 23 from 7:30 to 10 p.m.
• Arts Alive at Mission Clay Worx (Xaytem Interpretive Centre at 7560 Hurd St.) – Sept. 23 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Local Authors Book Fair at Mission Library (33247 Second Ave.) – Sept. 23 from noon to 4 p.m.
• Culture Days Storytime at Sardis Library (5819 Tyson Rd.) – Sept. 25 from 10:30 to 11 a.m.
• Outdoor Music Play at Sardis Library – Oct. 10 from 4 to 5 p.m.
Visit CultureDays.ca for more information.