Skip to content

Fundraiser for Cultus Lake family burned out of home on Easter Sunday

Neighbour says fire caused by dryer malfunctioning, and ‘within minutes, she lost everything’
web1_240401-cpl-cultus-fire_1
Cultus Lake Fire Department crew at scene of house fire on March 31, 2024. (Cultus Lake Community Association/Facebook)

A Cultus Lake family lost their home on Spruce Street after it was engulfed in flames on Sunday (March 31).

According to a neighbour the fire on Easter Sunday was caused by a dryer malfunctioning, and “within minutes, she lost everything,” Ainsley Murdock wrote in the GoFundMe she set up.

A single mom, Serena, two kids and a bunny managed to escape the burning house, Murdock said.

“Many thanks go out to the Cultus Lake Fire Department for their hard work managing the fire scene,” according to a separate post on the Cultus Lake Community Association page.

“Many thanks to everyone in the community that immediately offered support to the family affected.”

A GoFundMe account was established to support the family financially after the fire.

“We are asking for your help to get her back on her feet. She’s needing her community now more than ever,” the organizer of the fundraiser said about her neighbour.

The account had raised just under $4,800 of the $10,000 goal by lunchtime Monday.

READ MORE: 2 trailers damaged in fire at Cultus



Jennifer Feinberg

About the Author: Jennifer Feinberg

I have been a Chilliwack Progress reporter for 20+ years, covering the arts, city hall, as well as Indigenous, and climate change stories.
Read more