Agassiz home lost to fire

Family of six left homeless just two weeks before Christmas

An Agassiz family of six is in need of a home for the holidays.

Their house was completely destroyed by fire Monday afternoon, despite a rapid response from three fire surrounding fire departments. Immediately, community members began looking for ways to help the family. A relative of the displaced family said the most pressing need will be a place a stay. They have four young children and several pets.

“Social services will only put them up for three days, then they told them to go to a shelter,” Carol Perry, the children’s grandmother wrote in an email from Ontario. “If anyone knows any place available for them to rent they would be great.”

The family was renting a mobile home on Wells Road, and have chickens, pigs, a pony, a dog and a cat.

“They just really need to find a place to live,” Perry said. “Once they get that, they will be okay.”

She added she’s just sent out her grandchildren’s Christmas presents. However, the children are twin girls aged seven, a nine year old boy and a four year old boy.

The children attend Kent elementary school in Agassiz, and that school’s principal announced on Tuesday they will be accepting donations for the family.

“One of our families needs our help,” Chris Wejr wrote on the school’s Facebook page. “Yesterday, one of our families’ homes on a farm burnt down. They are all safe but sadly lost everything. They are currently living in a hotel until Thursday but are looking for a place to live/rent on a farm.”

He asked that if people want to donate gently used clothing and household items, they could drop off at the school. The twins are a size 7/8, the older boy is a size 10 and the younger boy is a size 6/7.

Three fire halls (Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum) were on scene Monday afternoon, trying to knock down the flames at the Wells Road mobile home. Agassiz fire fighters stayed on scene through the evening to take care of hot spots, and returned for clean up on Tuesday.

The fire was caused by an older electrical heater, said Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer.

“It was going all day, every day,” he said.

news@ahobserver.com

.

 

 

 

Just Posted

Country talent Petunia returns to Bozzini’s in Chilliwack Saturday

Petunia, performing Nov. 17, is referred to as ‘The Savior of Country Music’

Chilliwack teacher suspended 5 days for touching colleague’s buttocks

Retroactive suspension for 2017 incidents handed down by Teacher Regulation Branch

Gas prices in Metro Vancouver to drop six cents

But a ‘volatile’ market could lead to increases in the coming weeks

Chilliwack Cultural Centre seeks artists who work in a large format

Deadline Nov. 22 to submit work for Cultural Centre lobby display

People flocking to Vancouver Island city to see hundreds of sea lions

Each year the combination of Steller and California sea lions take over Cowichan Bay

Protesters confront Environment Minister in B.C.

Protesters wanting more for killer whales confront Catherine McKenna

Humans reshaping evolutionary history of species around the globe: paper

University of British Columbia researcher had the paper published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society

Toronto ‘carding’ activist Desmond Cole stopped by police in Vancouver

Cole says his experience reveals what daily life is like for black and Indigenous residents

Tubing, skating, light display part of new winter festival in Vancouver

Set to open Nov. 23, the six-week festival will take over Vancouver’s Concord Pacific Centre

Commercial trucks banned from left lane of Coquihalla

B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation has introduced a new program that hopes to prevent accidents and closures on the Coquihalla Highway.

B.C. on track to record same number of overdose deaths as last year

128 people died of overdoses in September, bringing the total to more than 1,100 so far in 2018

B.C. firefighters rescue horse stuck in mud

‘It happens more often than you’d think,’ says deputy chief

Regulatory confusion over ‘toxic’ stink near Abbotsford school

Officials sniffing out which regulators responsible for enforcing compliance at neighbouring property

Most Read