RCMP’s quick use of naloxone saved a man’s life last week.
On Tuesday, Jan. 5, Agassiz RCMP responded to a report of a man in medical distress in the 8200-block of Charles Drive. RCMP were told at the door everyone inside was fine, but officers persisted in entering the home.
Inside, officers found an unconscious man. Police gave the man naloxone hydrochlorine nasal spray — a medication used to block the effect of opioids and typically administered after an overdose.
The 51-year-old regained consciousness, and police continued to give him first aid until an ambulance arrived to bring him to hospital.
“Alert officers providing immediate first aid are responsible for saving this person’s life,” Cpl. Mike Rail, spokesperson for the UFVRD, said in a release.
The RCMP press release did not specifically say whether the man had suffered an overdose.
B.C. is currently in a public health emergency because of opioid-related overdose deaths.
Take-home naloxone kits are available at most pharmacies without a prescription, and anyone suspecting an overdose should call 911 immediately.
Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.