RCMP block the driveway of a Canoe property where a suspect in an armed robbery in Sicamous on July 3, 2015 is alleged to have driven into after fleeing police. (File photo)

B.C. Mountie won’t be charged after robbery suspect shot

Prosecution Service determines that evidence in 2015 Salmon Arm shooting doesn’t justify charges

Salmon Arm police officers will not be charged in the shooting of a suspect in a 2015 armed robbery and subsequent police chase.

The BC Prosecution Service announced Wednesday, May 16 that no charges will be laid against members of the Salmon Arm RCMP who were involved in the non-fatal shooting in Canoe, near Salmon Arm, on July 3, 2015. The officers were responding to a complaint of an armed robbery at a gas station in Sicamous involving an adult male suspect. The suspect reportedly fled the scene in a vehicle.

Related: Armed robbery suspect abandons vehicle in Canoe driveway

The BC Prosecution Service states that during their efforts to apprehend him, two officers discharged their firearms in separate encounters with the suspect. In the second encounter, he sustained serious gunshot injuries. The suspect was transported to hospital for medical treatment and subsequently recovered.

In reports at the time, police told the media that the suspect fled the scene in a blue SUV bearing Nova Scotia plates, which had been reported stolen in Saskatchewan.

RCMP, with the help of a 911 call from a Canoe resident, later found the vehicle in Canoe, where the suspect had abandoned it in a residential driveway.

A perimeter was established and a police dog and handler were used to establish a track. During the search, the dog handler was allegedly confronted by the suspect and the RCMP officer discharged his sidearm.

Related: Nine charges in armed robbery

The officer was also taken to hospital for a medical assessment.

The suspect was held in custody and is still facing charges with regard to the July 3 incident.

Related: RCMP shooting referred to Crown counsel

The incident was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office (IIO). The Interim Chief Civilian Director considered that RCMP officers may have committed criminal offences and on that basis he submitted a report to Crown Counsel for review by the prosecution service. The Interim Chief Civilian Director did not make a recommendation on whether charges should be approved.

After reviewing all the evidence provided, the prosecution service concluded that the standard for laying charges had not been met.

A statement explaining the reasons for not approving charges will be made public following the conclusion of related legal proceedings involving the suspect. As the related charges are still before the court, the prosecution service will not be releasing any further information at this time.


@SalmonArm
marthawickett@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Wildfire update: Fires burning in Fraser Canyon, Highway 7 and Skagit Valley

Several fires in the region are under ‘modified response’ meaning no firefighters are attending

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Chilliwack is home to Sasquatch, the first Canadian-designed hops plant

Created by Hops Connect, the Sasquatch hop is the country’s first patented hops plant

Highway 7 down to one-lane alternating as crews fight Mt. Hicks wildfire

150-hectare blaze prompted closure of a provincial park

‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin has died

Publicist Gwendolyn Quinn reports Franklin passed Thursday at 9:50 a.m. at her home in Detroit

5 to start your day

RCMP evict Kinder Morgan protest camp, two girls go on a nighttime bus adventure and more

Italy says death toll will mount in Genoa bridge collapse

Authorities worried about the stability of remaining large sections of a partially collapsed bridge evacuated about 630 people from nearby apartments.

Former CIA Director: Trump worked with Russians and now he’s desperate

In an opinion piece in The New York Times, John Brennan cites press reports and Trump’s own goading of Russia during the campaign to find Democrat Hillary Clinton’s missing emails.

Church sex scandal: Abuse victims want a full reckoning

Since the crisis exploded in Boston in 2002, dioceses around the country have dealt with similar revelations of widespread sexual abuse.

Baloney Meter: is flow of asylum seekers at Canada-U.S. border a ‘crisis’?

“I think any time you have a government that allows 30,000 people over the course of a short period of time to come into Canada illegally, the impact that that has, that is a crisis,” said Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer.

B.C. RCMP say Kinder Morgan protest camp to be dismantled today

RCMP say they will enforce a court injunction today and remove Trans Mountain pipeline protesters who have been camped outside a Kinder Morgan terminal in Burnaby.

VIDEO: Baby in hospital after truck crashes into Surrey home

No official word on the infant’s condition, but police say the 57-year-old man who was driving the truck is in custody

Altidore nets 3 as Toronto drubs Whitecaps 5-2

Vancouver falls 7-4 on aggregate in Canadian Championship final

Most Read