Cars were smashed and later torched during the June 15 Stanley Cup riot.

Charges approved against 25 alleged rioters

Most suspects face charges of participating in a riot and either mischief or break and enter.



Websites that sprang up to identify Stanley Cup rioters allege Surrey’s Alicia Price can be seen lighting a police car on fire at 7:35 of this video. Price now faces three charges, including arson.



Twenty-five alleged rioters have now been charged for their roles in the June 15 Stanley Cup riot in downtown Vancouver.

Nine of the accused in the first wave of charges are from Surrey, eight are from Vancouver, two each are from Burnaby and Maple Ridge, and one each are from Delta, Richmond, North Vancouver and Seattle.

All are charged with participating in a riot and nearly all are also charged with additional counts of either mischief or break and enter.

Three are also charged with arson – 21-year-old Delta resident Lincoln Kennedy Williams, Surrey’s Alicia Price, 22, and Burnaby’s Timothy Kwong, 30.

Vancouver Police allege Williams smashed the tail lights and window of a parked truck before helping set it on fire, while Price is accused of setting a police car on fire with a cigarette lighter. Both have no prior criminal record.

Mobeen Mohammed, 33, of Surrey, is the oldest accused rioter so far, while a 17-year-old juvenile, also from Surrey, is the youngest.

Rioters torched police cars and other vehicles and looted stores in downtown Vancouver after the Boston Bruins beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 7 of the Cup final.

Onlookers shot video and photos on cellphones and posted them on social media, fueling what has become a massive crowd-sourced police investigation.

“We are very encouraged by the approval of these 61 charges and we will continue to work closely with the special prosecution team as even more charges are expected in the coming days and weeks,” said  Insp. Les Yeo, who leads the Integrated Riot Investigation Team.

The police reports on each suspected rioter are all over 500 pages long.

VPD officials have called the night of mayhem the largest crime spree in B.C. and say several hundred suspects could ultimately be prosecuted.

Dozens came forward and confessed after being outed on social media.

Police, aided by a U.S. lab, have analyzed vast amounts of video evidence and photos, building an image database that can link a suspect to multiple crime scenes on the night of the riot.

The VPD says that methodical approach is being used to ensure those responsible face the most severe charges possible.

The VPD recommended 163 charges against 60 people in late October, but more charge approvals by Crown may be pending.

Those charged in Surrey include: Emmanuel Alviar, 20; Sean Burkett, 18; Richard Dorosh, 18; Kelly Johnson, 20; Anthony Larsen, 18; Dylan Long, 19; Mobeen Mohammed, 33; Alicia Price, 22; and a 17-year-old youth who cannot be named.

 

Charges now approved

Just Posted

Seabird Island opens 50th annual festival

The weekend festival will see First Nations teams compete in soccer, three-pitch and canoe races

LETTER: Agassiz’s amazing new pump station

Edward Monro talks about Hammersley Pump, but also the need for driver support on Mount Woodside

LETTER: E-Comm makes connections for ambulance

E-Comm’s executive director explains why ambulances aren’t in their jurisidiction

Agassiz study to look at drone use for pesticide application

The study will be the first in Canada to use drones to apply pesticides to farm fields

Lofty plans for Chilliwack school district revealed

Chilliwack school district draws up plan to add 2,900 student seats in five years

VIDEO: Powwow shares culture at Seabird Island Festival

The 50th anniversary of the festival saw its first powwow

Raptors beat Bucks 100-94 to advance to franchise’s first-ever NBA Finals

Leonard has 27 points, 17 boards to lead Toronto past Milwaukee

Third person charged in death of B.C. teen Bhavkiran Dhesi

Inderdeep Kaur Deo facing charge of accessory after the fact to murder

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

UPDATE: Surrey RCMP say boy, 11, missing for two days found safe

Dominic Mattie was last seen at 5 p.m. in the 13500-block of Gateway Drive in Surrey

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Raptors fans far from home adjust plans to watch pivotal playoff game

Raptors currently lead the playoff series 3-2, and a win Saturday would vault them into NBA finals

Most Read