The Christmas holiday week was a busy time for the members of the Hemlock Valley Fire Department.
They responded to a call for a child who had fallen off of the trail into Sakwi Creek. The call ended well, however, thanks to a passing adult who pulled the youngster from the creek prior to the arrival of the rescue crew.
“This can be difficult at this time of year due to the build up of snow along the creek,” said Fire Chief Marty McKinney.
Fire crews also were called to assist and stabilize a worker who was suffering from a back injury and waiting for BC Ambulance to arrive.
They also assisted with a vehicle rollover on Hemlock Valley Road. While responding to that call, McKinney got caught up in a traffic jam due to extreme ice on the hill on Sakwi Creek Road. Members of the fire department set up traffic control to prevent other vehicles from becoming involved.
They also responded to a call for a fire being burned in a residence where the chimney had been separated at the roof line by snow earlier in the year. Fortunately, the fire in the fireplace was extinguished before it could set fire to the roof of the structure.
Finally, they responded to a call for a possible propane leak that turned out to possibly be a leakage during the filling of the propane tank, as no leaks were found along the propane line, at the tank or around any of the propane fittings.