Two more deaths were reported at Langley Lodge on Wednesday, May 27 (Langley Advance Times files)

Death toll rises in COVID-19 outbreak at Langley Lodge

Number has risen to 22, making it the worst to date in B.C.

Two more Langley Lodge residents have died, the facility reported Wednesday, May 27.

It brings to 22 the number of residents who have now died in the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak at the seniors care home, making it the worst outbreak to date in B.C.

In an update posted to the Langley Lodge website, the home said it had three new resident cases of COVID-19 on the fifth floor as well as one staff member testing positive.

All residents continue to be confined to their rooms and are receiving tray meal service.

“Unfortunately, there have been two more deaths since our last update,” the update said.

“Our residents are like family, and we acknowledge the grief and sorrow that their family members are going through.”

It said the facility has welcomed officials from Fraser Health Authority “to work with us to review all of our processes to date and to provide recommendations on any additional measures that we will employ. “

READ ALSO: VIDEO: Surrey care workers hold demonstration of solidarity with Langley Lodge

The current outbreak began on April 28, with a staff member thought to have contracted the novel coronavirus in the community. While the staff member was asymptomatic, it was passed to residents, and the virus got into a ward for dementia patients.

An outbreak at the Lynn Valley Care Centre, one of the earliest and most serious in B.C., claimed the lives of 20 residents, with more than 70 infections reported there.

READ ALSO: Do you think you have COVID-19? Here is what to do next

B.C. has recorded nine new cases and one death in the past 24 hours, provincial health officials said Wednesday.

The update, which was provided via a joint statement in lieu of a press conference, brought the total number of test positive cases of COVID-19 to 2,550. Of those, 244 are still active while 2,144 have recovered. Wednesday’s death of a person in the Fraser Health region brings the total toll to 162.

Of the 244 active cases, 37 are in hospital, with seven in ICU.

“We are moving forward carefully into Phase Two, assessing our progress week by week, and we are encouraged by what we have seen so far,” Health Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Bonnie Henry said in their joint statement.

“COVID-19 has a two-week incubation period, which means any new cases that are a result of the easing of restrictions will start to appear over the coming week.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

CoronavirusLangleySeniors

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Child falls down Bridal Veil Falls near Chilliwack, crews on scene

An 11-year-old boy fell over the falls about 25 to 30 feet and has suffered a head injury

LETTER: An unforgettable birthday

Grace Storteboom of Agassiz thanks everyone for an amazing birthday

Seabird Island community to recieve $2.1 million for community centre

Provincial, federal funding will contribute to local undertaking

Popular retired UFV therapy dog passes away

Mac the Therapy Dog consoled countless students and staff, as well as wildfire victims

Imagination Library Fraser Valley celebrating Christmas in July

Dolly Parton early literacy intiative looking for financial support to help with waitlist

B.C. sees 25 new COVID-19 cases, community exposure tracked

One death, outbreaks remain in two long-term care facilities

Woman sexually assaulted, robbed near Surrey SkyTrain station: RCMP

Police say the incident happened July 10, just after 11 p.m. near King George SkyTrain station

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Once-in-a-lifetime comet photographed soaring over Abbotsford

Photographer Randy Small captures Comet NEOWISE in early-morning sky

Four-vehicle collision snarls eastbound highway traffic in Fraser Valley

Collision west of Lickman Road on Highway 1 includes three vehicles plus motorcycle

BREAKING: Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

Bringing support to Indigenous students and communities, while fulfilling a dream

Mitacs is a nonprofit organization that operates research and training programs

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Most Read