It was a close call for the Agassiz Harrison Community Services Thrift Store on Jan. 2, when items left for donation were set ablaze by an unknown firebug.
Fire Chief Wayne Dire said somebody noticed that a few mattresses that were leaning up against the building were on fire. The witness pulled the mattresses off the building and called 911.
The incident highlights the importance of only dropping off donations to thrift shops and other centres during open business hours.
“They don’t want that stuff left out back,” Dyer said. “Please do not leave items out in the back.”
The Community Services could have lost its entire building. The profit from that building helps fund local services such as the food bank.