Pete and Jo-Ann Mitischev play with their German Shepherd Belle in their back yard in Chilliwack. The couple's other dog

Dog poisoning shocks Chilliwack neighbourhood

German shepherd died Wednesday after chewing on mysterious rawhide sticks

A Chilliwack couple want to warn dog owners after their German shepherd, Ben, died of an apparent poisoning on Wednesday.

Pete and Jo-Ann Mitischev are devastated at the loss of one of their two beloved animals, and they don’t understand why anyone would intentionally do such a thing.

“It just put me into shock,” Pete Mitischev told the Times Thursday. “It’s heartbreaking.”

Mitischev arrived to his downtown home Wednesday afternoon only to find two-year-old Ben bleeding from the mouth and the anus.

“I didn’t know what to do,” he said. “I made sure he was still breathing, and I called my wife to come home to take the dog to the vet.”

After trying two veterinarians that couldn’t take Ben immediately, they took the dog to Family Pet Hospital in Sardis.

“The took one look at the dog and said ‘This looks like poisoning,'” he said.

The dog was tested for canine parvovirus, which can cause similar symptoms, but it came back negative.

Back at home, Mitischev found two rawhide sticks that had been tossed into his fenced in driveway, apparently from the back alley behind his Mayfair Avenue home.

“I noticed these and my good dog (Belle) came out, went up to the rawhide sticks and immediately turned around and ran in the other direction,” he said. “I thought, something is wrong with these sticks.”

Mitischev wants to be clear that he does not have 100 per cent proof that the dog was poisoned, but all signs are pointing that way.

While it would be impossible to justify the poisoning of any dog, Mitischev also pointed out the animal control has never had a complaint about his dog, and all his neighbours are mortified about what happened.

“All my neighbours were worried sick,” he said. “Our dog is kept inside at night, they are in a pen inside our fenced yard if we aren’t home then we have a six-foot fence. I walk them daily with a double leash.

“I think it’s some sick person.”

Mitischev called the RCMP who have started a file. He has also spoken with Fraser Valley District Animal Control and the SPCA.

He said he was told by the SPCA that they don’t have the resources to test the rawhide for poison. And animal control can’t do anything since no bylaws were broken.

Just Posted

BC Lions defensive back Marcell Young levels streaker in home opener

Young hit the fan near one of the 45-yard lines

UPDATE: All lanes open after crash closed Sea-to-Sky near Lions Bay

Hwy. 99 not expected to re-open until 2:30 p.m.

South Surrey sting ends with dropped charges

Shop owner frustrated with outcome after videotaping regular customer

Fraser Valley about to heat up

Temperatures to climb into the low 30s next week

Frustrated Harrison landlord at wits end

Jasmine McGown has been trying to evict criminally-charged tenants for over a month

Former Penticton Vee recovering in hospital

Pittsburgh Penguin prospect expected to make full recovery

Police: Taxi driver who hit 8 Moscow pedestrians fell asleep

Two Mexican World Cup fans were among those hit

B.C. VIEWS: Orphans of our urban drug culture neglected again

Child advocate Bernard Richard leaves B.C. with harsh message

From marijuana beer to pot cookies, Canadian companies creating cannabis edibles

Manufacturers think that edibles will do well with users who don’t want to smoke or vape

Privacy lawyer warns against victim blaming in recent sextortion scams

Perpetrators get sexual photos of the victim and threaten to share them with friends and families

Motorcycle crash sends man to hospital with life-threatening injuries

Rider collided with a car near Edmonds SkyTrain in Burnaby

QB Jennings leads Lions to 22-10 win over Alouettes

B.C. wins CFL home opener over Montreal

Most Read