Pete and Jo-Ann Mitischev play with their German Shepherd Belle in their back yard in Chilliwack. The couple's other dog

Dog poisoning shocks Chilliwack neighbourhood

German shepherd died Wednesday after chewing on mysterious rawhide sticks

A Chilliwack couple want to warn dog owners after their German shepherd, Ben, died of an apparent poisoning on Wednesday.

Pete and Jo-Ann Mitischev are devastated at the loss of one of their two beloved animals, and they don’t understand why anyone would intentionally do such a thing.

“It just put me into shock,” Pete Mitischev told the Times Thursday. “It’s heartbreaking.”

Mitischev arrived to his downtown home Wednesday afternoon only to find two-year-old Ben bleeding from the mouth and the anus.

“I didn’t know what to do,” he said. “I made sure he was still breathing, and I called my wife to come home to take the dog to the vet.”

After trying two veterinarians that couldn’t take Ben immediately, they took the dog to Family Pet Hospital in Sardis.

“The took one look at the dog and said ‘This looks like poisoning,'” he said.

The dog was tested for canine parvovirus, which can cause similar symptoms, but it came back negative.

Back at home, Mitischev found two rawhide sticks that had been tossed into his fenced in driveway, apparently from the back alley behind his Mayfair Avenue home.

“I noticed these and my good dog (Belle) came out, went up to the rawhide sticks and immediately turned around and ran in the other direction,” he said. “I thought, something is wrong with these sticks.”

Mitischev wants to be clear that he does not have 100 per cent proof that the dog was poisoned, but all signs are pointing that way.

While it would be impossible to justify the poisoning of any dog, Mitischev also pointed out the animal control has never had a complaint about his dog, and all his neighbours are mortified about what happened.

“All my neighbours were worried sick,” he said. “Our dog is kept inside at night, they are in a pen inside our fenced yard if we aren’t home then we have a six-foot fence. I walk them daily with a double leash.

“I think it’s some sick person.”

Mitischev called the RCMP who have started a file. He has also spoken with Fraser Valley District Animal Control and the SPCA.

He said he was told by the SPCA that they don’t have the resources to test the rawhide for poison. And animal control can’t do anything since no bylaws were broken.

Just Posted

Snow prayers answered as Manning Park ski hill opens Friday

Ski hill will be open seven days a week starting Dec. 14, and cross-country trails as well

Fleeing driver picks fight with Chilliwack police dog, loses

Good dog ‘Griff’ also locates large quantity of what police believe to be crystal meth in Abbotsford

UPDATE: Heavy rainfall, strong winds in forecast for Lower Mainland

Heavy rains, snow expected till Friday morning

DFO confirms that investigation of fish habitat destruction in the Fraser River is underway

Conservation and Protection reps ordered Herrling and Carey Island owners to take corrective action

Hope rescue crew remove man pinned in semi-truck on Highway 3

Tuesday night rescue was swift, with the man removed safely from the truck within an hour and a half

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Sissons scores OT winner as Predators beat Canucks 4-3

VIDEO: Vancouver battles back to earn single point in Nashville

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Most Read