Agassiz fire chief Wayne Dyer on scene at a house fire in Agassiz on Monday morning.

Fire destroys home in Agassiz

Crews from Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum fought Monday morning house fire

A house was destroyed by a fire in Agassiz Monday morning, but the family living there escaped without serious injuries.

Fire crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Seabird attended the fire, which at times was shooting several feet into the air. Fire crews entered the home and extinguished the flames, and BC Hydro arrived on scene to disconnect power to the home.

Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer said it’s been confirmed that the fire started with some old electrical wires in the attic, which set fire to the wood joists. While the fire didn’t enter the home, the fire suppression efforts damaged the home completely. In addition, Dyer said, the home had asbestos.

The family took refuge in a neighbour’s house and has been put in contact with emergency social services. As soon as the news of the fire began to spread, people from all over Chilliwack and Agassiz began to offer up donations of furniture and clothing to help the family get back on their feet before Christmas, and to help dress them through the winter.

The family has three adults, and four children. The daughters are ages seven, eight and 10, and the son is 13. The girls’ clothing sizes are 6x through 8, and the boy is waist size 30-32 men’s. The mother is a size medium (or size 5) and the father is an extra large.

A friend of the family has told the Observer that the family is in need of everything from clothing (including winter clothes), to all manner of furniture and household goods. They are also now searching for a new place to live, as the house was completely destroyed by the fire and smoke. They are hoping to stay in Agassiz, as they don’t want to have their children change schools. The family also has a dog.

“I hope the community can come together and help this family in the time of need, my heart breaks for them even more so as it is almost Christmas,” their friend Heather Davis said.

She said donations can be dropped of at 1865 Agassiz Ave., in Agassiz.

A relative of the family, Jeannette Foster, has set up a Go Fund Me account to help the family rebuild their lives. She says the family is currently living in a travel trailer, after the fire that started in the home’s attic displaced them. The link is www.gofundme.com/hgju3g. At press time, only $10 had been raised toward a total goal of $5,000.

news@ahobserver.com

Just Posted

More funding for Harrison tourism projects on the horizon

Village could see increased funding by 2020

Most cows saved during massive fire on Agassiz farm thanks to fast work of farmers, neighbours

Agassiz Fire Department responded to late night call Wednesday

Risk of thunderstorm this afternoon for Vancouver Island and Lower Mainland

A special weather statement calls for heavy rain and wind over the next 48 hours

Chilliwack steps up to the plate and brings music and dance Provicials to town to prevent lag

Sponsors are needed to help knock the 2019 Provincials out of the park

Massive fire destroys Agassiz dairy barn

Reports say at least one cow died in the blaze

Environment Canada confirms Ottawa area hit by two tornadoes Friday

At one point more than 200,000 hydro customers were blacked out

Porsche impounded for going 138 km/hr in 90 zone during charity rally

West Vancouver Police said wet roads and heavy rain made it extra dangerous

B.C. students send books to displaced students of Hornby Island school fire

Maple Ridge elementary school teacher says students learned about acts of kindness

Phase 2 of $1.35B Royal Columbian upgrades won’t be a public-private partnership

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix says it will be a design-build

Trump drains oxygen from Trudeau foreign policy with PM, Freeland bound for UN

A lot has changed since the Liberals came to power in Canada in 2015

B.C. man fined $15,000, barred from trading securities for fraud

Larry Keith Davis used money from an investor to pay personal bills

Emergency crews investigate small sulphuric acid spill in Kootenays

IRM states a small volume of less than one cup and three dime-sized drips were leaked from carrier

Family, friends of B.C murder victim want killer sent back to max security facility

Group wants convicted murderer Walter Ramsay sent back to a maximum security facility

Man facing charges after allegedly climbing into police car, spraying fire extinguisher

Vancouver police say the man appeared to be under the influence of drugs

Most Read