Agassiz fire chief Wayne Dyer on scene at a house fire in Agassiz on Monday morning.

Fire destroys home in Agassiz

Crews from Agassiz, Seabird and Popkum fought Monday morning house fire

A house was destroyed by a fire in Agassiz Monday morning, but the family living there escaped without serious injuries.

Fire crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Seabird attended the fire, which at times was shooting several feet into the air. Fire crews entered the home and extinguished the flames, and BC Hydro arrived on scene to disconnect power to the home.

Agassiz Fire Chief Wayne Dyer said it’s been confirmed that the fire started with some old electrical wires in the attic, which set fire to the wood joists. While the fire didn’t enter the home, the fire suppression efforts damaged the home completely. In addition, Dyer said, the home had asbestos.

The family took refuge in a neighbour’s house and has been put in contact with emergency social services. As soon as the news of the fire began to spread, people from all over Chilliwack and Agassiz began to offer up donations of furniture and clothing to help the family get back on their feet before Christmas, and to help dress them through the winter.

The family has three adults, and four children. The daughters are ages seven, eight and 10, and the son is 13. The girls’ clothing sizes are 6x through 8, and the boy is waist size 30-32 men’s. The mother is a size medium (or size 5) and the father is an extra large.

A friend of the family has told the Observer that the family is in need of everything from clothing (including winter clothes), to all manner of furniture and household goods. They are also now searching for a new place to live, as the house was completely destroyed by the fire and smoke. They are hoping to stay in Agassiz, as they don’t want to have their children change schools. The family also has a dog.

“I hope the community can come together and help this family in the time of need, my heart breaks for them even more so as it is almost Christmas,” their friend Heather Davis said.

She said donations can be dropped of at 1865 Agassiz Ave., in Agassiz.

A relative of the family, Jeannette Foster, has set up a Go Fund Me account to help the family rebuild their lives. She says the family is currently living in a travel trailer, after the fire that started in the home’s attic displaced them. The link is www.gofundme.com/hgju3g. At press time, only $10 had been raised toward a total goal of $5,000.

news@ahobserver.com

Just Posted

Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge construction could start in 2021, MLA says

The project is expected to cost substantially more than budgeted in 2017

Fraser Valley developer offering to build barn owl nesting boxes for free

Gore Brothers says anyone with a suitable building can help the threatened raptor

EDITORIAL: Post-grad years are your time

Editor Grace Kennedy shares a few words for this year’s high school grads

Dinosaurs will reign at Sto:lo Children’s Festival

Jurassic Park theme takes over long-standing, free community event

COLUMN: Llamas, goats and snakes, oh my!

Making friends on the Ryder Lake Ramble not a walk in the park

VIDEO: Reading splashes into Agassiz’s Ferny Coombe Pool

The Agassiz Library held its annual Reading in the Pool event Friday, June 14

Dash-cam video in trial of accused cop killer shows man with a gun

Footage is shown at trial of Oscar Arfmann, charged with killing Const. John Davidson of Abbotsford

Suicide confirmed in case of B.C. father who’d been missing for months

2018 disappearance sparked massive search for Ben Kilmer

Eight U.S. senators write to John Horgan over B.C. mining pollution

The dispute stems from Teck Resources’ coal mines in B.C.’s Elk Valley

Dinosaur statues from defunct Dinotown theme park stolen in Chilliwack

The dinosaur figures once graced the theme park but were destined for Chilliwack fundraiser

Threats charge against Surrey’s Jaspal Atwal stayed

Atwal, 64, was at centre of controversy in 2018 over his attendance at prime minister’s reception in India

Langley’s oldest and last strip bar shuts its doors

The Alder Inn, in operation since 1957, has reportedly been purchased

Anti-vaxxer Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to speak in Surrey

He’s keynote speaker at Surrey Environment and Business Awards luncheon by Surrey Board of Trade Sept. 17

Update: Show of support after pride flag was taken down by Township of Langley

Township statement said flag was removed due to “confusion” about whether it was on private property

Most Read