Fire displaces Aldergrove family of eight

The pre-Christmas fire has sent the family looking for new lodgings.

The community is coming to the aid of a Langley family of eight who were displaced from their home by fire just before Christmas.

On Dec. 20, the family dishwasher at Zane and Julia Green’s Aldergrove townhouse overheated and started a fire.

“Luckily, all the kids were at school,” Zane said.

Julia had just headed across the street to see the school Christmas pageant, and a neighbour called to let Julia know the building was on fire.

Although the fire wasn’t large, the fact that it burned up a lot of plastic meant toxic smoke went throughout the townhouse, said Zane.

Between smoke damage, water damage, and old asbestos tiling inside the 1980s-era building, it will be a while before the building can be repaired.

“We are out of the house for at least a year,” said Zane.

The tree and Christmas presents are still inside the house, but everything will have to be thrown out, Zane said, because of smoke contamination.

Fortunately, the family does have contents insurance, and the structure was insured through the complex’s strata corporation.

But the family was looking at a rocky time. Zane, a funeral director, is just a year into starting up a new business in Maple Ridge, Ancient Burials.

Family offered to start up a GoFundMe campaign online.

“We really hemmed and hawed,” Zane said. Although they were somewhat underinsured, they knew they could make it through, despite the additional costs and difficulties.

But when the campaign went up six days ago, the response was immediate.

The campaign has already raised more than $8,000 of the $10,000 goal, towards getting the family through the transition.

Zane was surprised. A lot of people he’s met through his work as a funeral director seemed to have reached out to help, he said.

Now the family is looking for a rental home that can accommodate two adults and six children, until the repairs are done on their townhouse.

The kids are doing fairly well, though they miss certain things lost in the fire, Zane said.

“It is tough, but when it’s all said and done, we have our lives,” he said.

Just Posted

Kent honours late CAO with tree planting

Tony Lewis passed away in 2007, seven months before his retirement from the position

School trip tragedy leaves Hope mourning the loss of one of their own

Long-time resident, Sandra Loring, passed away while chaperoning a European school trip

Fraser Health reminds parents to get their kids fully vaccinated against measles

Health authority will send letters home to parents with catch-up program information

Chilliwack fatal hit-and-run case goes to B.C. Supreme Court

Linnea Labbee, 70, accused in Dec. 1, 2016 incident that killed 78-year-old Fourghozaman Firoozian

Gas prices in Metro Vancouver hit $1.72 a litre

And one analyst expects it to only go higher this week

VIDEO: Agassiz, Harrison celebrate National Pet Day

From cats and dogs to lizards and chickens, residents showed off the animals that enrich their lives

B.C.’s largest Vaisakhi festival target of threatening Facebook post: Surrey RCMP

Police say they are investigating the posts on Facebook, after local MLA forwarded screenshots

Pug life: B.C. town boasts waggish list of dog names

Freedom-of-information request lists most ‘pupular’ dog names registered in White Rock

VIDEO: Fish farming company launches $30-million vessel to treat salmon for sea lice in B.C. waters

Freshwater treatment an improvement but fish farms should be removed from sea, says conservationist

Singh says childhood abuse steeled him for scrutiny and stress of politics

He recounts the assaults for the first time in his book Love & Courage

Despite five extra weeks’ parental leave in Canada, dads still face stigma: survey

One reason people said dads don’t need leave is because they can just bond with their kids at weekend

Spectre of Lac-Megantic raised as White Rock council calls for report on rail emergency protocol

‘I just really think we’re asleep at the switch here,’ says councillor

Vintage bottles, magic cards, a 1969 Playboy: Quirky items found in historic B.C. buildings

Crews set aside some of the funkier pieces emerging from the construction rubble

PHOTOS: Inside the ‘shoe house’ in Northern B.C.

A rare look inside the famous Kitseguecla Lake Road shoe house, with a tour led by owner Toby Walsh

Most Read