The Off-Road Vehicle Trail Fund is awarding up to $200,00 this year to support the construction and maintenance of trails for off-road vehicles. (Black Press files)

Gear up for a smoother, safer off-road ride in Hope

Applications now being accepted for the 2019 Off-Road Vehicle Fund

The provincial government is putting out a call to any group or organization who wants to better their local off-roading trails: applications for the 2019 Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Trail Fund are now being accepted.

The fund, which is in its second year, is aimed at creating quality outdoor recreation experiences for B.C. residents and visitors by improving off-road riding conditions and safety.

Created in 2017 as part of the Off-Road Vehicle Act and Regulations, the ORV Trail Fund is financed by a portion of the registration fees ICBC collects for ORVs, and it is administered by the Recreation Sites and Trails Branch.

READ MORE: Off-road vehicles caught in sensitive B.C. wildlife habitats to net fine

This year, the fund has $200,000 up for grabs—to be split equally between the three primary user groups, ATVs, off-road motorcycles, and snowmobiles—to help better off-road trails from one end of the province to the other.

But the first step is applying.

However, because the fund is meant for bettering public spaces, the application process isn’t open to individuals, but rather any other legal entity that somehow represents a group of people, such as First Nations; municipalities and regional districts; ORV organizations that represent quads, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, motorbikes, or side-by-sides; non-profit societies; and businesses.

READ MORE: Quads need licence plates starting Nov. 1

Applicants are welcome to request funding anywhere from $1,000 to $20,000, but 25 per cent of the fund is earmarked for safety promotion, while the other 75 per cent has been marked for the construction and maintenance of trails. Submissions will be adjudicated by provincial recreation staff, with input from provincial-level ORV representatives.

The deadline to apply is March 20, 2019. Successful applicants will be notified about a month after the application period closes.

To learn more about the Off-Road Vehicle Fund, or to apply, please visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/orv-trail-fund.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

Child falls down Bridal Veil Falls near Chilliwack, crews on scene

An 11-year-old boy fell over the falls about 25 to 30 feet and has suffered a head injury

LETTER: Thank you, OK Tire Agassiz!

Roger Bjaanes of Harrison Hot Springs applauds some great customer service

LETTER: An unforgettable birthday

Grace Storteboom of Agassiz thanks everyone for an amazing birthday

Seabird Island community to recieve $2.1 million for community centre

Provincial, federal funding will contribute to local undertaking

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

Beverly Hills 90210 star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

Genetic detectives begin work to trace spread of COVID-19 in Canada

The kinds of genetic technology being used for this project did not exist when SARS hit Canada in 2003

Sports fishers protest Fraser River Chinook closures

Public Fishery Alliance wants hatchery fish open for harvest

Woman sexually assaulted, robbed near Surrey SkyTrain station: RCMP

Police say the incident happened July 10, just after 11 p.m. near King George SkyTrain station

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Once-in-a-lifetime comet photographed soaring over Abbotsford

Photographer Randy Small captures Comet NEOWISE in early-morning sky

Four-vehicle collision snarls eastbound highway traffic in Fraser Valley

Collision west of Lickman Road on Highway 1 includes three vehicles plus motorcycle

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

Most Read