Elm Road in Agassiz was partially closed off this afternoon, as fire crews and city workers dealt with a ruptured gas line.
Residents in a two block radius of the ruptured site were being contacted by fire crews, and emergency plans for an evacuation were being prepared.
The area affected included Glenwood Manor, a care home facility. While a plan was in place to evacuate the residents, the line has now been fixed and residents are returning to their suites.
A strong smell of natural gas was noticeable in the surrounding area, and several residents reported the smell.
If you ever smell natural gas, Fortis says to get outside and call 1-800-663-9911.