Campers at the Weaver Lake Campground were briefly evacuated on Saturday night while RCMP worked to contain a fire.
The fire broke out in the Agassiz area campground at about 11 p.m. on August 25. Campground hosts were the first responders, keeping the fire down with their fire extinguishers and shovels.
Police arrived and evacuated the campground. They fought the fire for about half an hour, until firefighters arrived on scene with a water truck. The fire kept reigniting, RCMP said, and quickly covered the area.
The fire had the “potential for destruction,” said Cst. Tracy Wolbeck.
“The quick thinking and action on the part of the campground hosts prevented the spread of what could have been a large forest fire,” said Cst. Tracy Wolbeck. “We would like to thank the campground hosts as well as the campers at the campground for their cooperation with this incident.”
Police are unsure what may have started the fire but speculate it could have been a propane tank left close to the fire. There were no injuries as a result of the fire.