A student took a photo of the message that was written on a mirror inside the boys’ bathroom at Skeena Middle School. It reads, ‘School shooting Thursday or Friday.’ (Facebook photo)

Fourth threat in a week involves two northwest B.C. schools

Multiple threats, later deemed to be low-risk, were made at schools in Terrace and Kitimat

Police investigated yet another threat that turned out to be a false alarm involving a school in northwest B.C.

Mounties in Kitimat received information from Mount Elizabeth Secondary School on Monday morning about a Facebook post depicting a gun and knife, with the messages “Coming back to Kitimat with these” and “Big city girl is back IG.”

Const. Kurtis Fink said they found the person responsible and determined there was no danger to the public.

Officers had already been posted at Mount Elizabeth and Skeena Middle School in Terrace that day, following multiple threats made in the last week that were later deemed to be low-risk.

Superintendent Katherine McIntosh posted a statement online on Sunday about a social media post that appeared to target both schools.

READ MORE: Concerns eased over threat against Skeena Middle School

“Please be informed that school district officials were alerted to a concerning message posted on the Facebook Terrace Buy & Sell at 3:00 p.m. today, May 12. We have been aware that the messages have been posted from both the Terrace and Kitimat communities,” McIntosh wrote on the Coast Mountain School District’s website.

“The RCMP and Safer Schools Together have determined this is a low-level risk event.”

Last Tuesday, a message reading “School shooting Thursday or Friday” was written on the mirror of a boys’ washroom at the Skeena school.

“We immediately activated our multidisciplinary violence threat risk assessment process, which involves police and other key community partners,” principal Phillip Barron later wrote in a letter to parents.

“The threat was determined to be low risk and steps were immediately taken to address the concern and ensure appropriate supports were in place for all concerned.”

RELATED: Social media bomb scare targets Kitimat high school

Nevertheless, police were posted on school grounds for the rest of the week.

On Friday, district officials were informed of another threatening message on social media, again found to be low-risk.

McIntosh said school staff and parents were kept informed throughout the week and counsellors were available.

“The school district will be conducting its own investigation into these incidents. The school district has activated its multi-disciplinary Violence Threat Risk Assessment (VTRA) process. This involves the RCMP and other community partners,” she said.

Parents took to social media to voice their concerns, with some deciding to keep their children home Friday despite the school’s decision to stay open.

READ MORE: Prince George school evacuated after threats made: RCMP

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

A photo of the letter sent to parents from Skeena Middle School principal Phillip Barron assuring them their children were safe and administrative staff are working closely with Terrace RCMP in response to the threat. (Facebook photo)

Mount Elizabeth Middle Secondary School. Photo Gerry Leibel

Just Posted

Hundreds fill Chilliwack streets for Black Lives Matter march

‘Canada has a problem too,’ reads at least one protester’s sign

IHIT names homicide victim found in the Fraser Canyon this week

Police asking for tips into the suspicious death of 29-year-old Alicia Berg

Chilliwack RCMP heard gunfire en route to suspicous activity

Chilliwack man, 42, sent to hospital after shooting, RCMP have confirmed

Harrison officials carefully monitoring E.coli levels in lagoon

Levels testing unusually high for this time of year, officials say

Flock on vacation

The sun sets over Harrison and its feathered residents

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park at large

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

Plan in place for BC Ferries to start increasing service levels

Ferry corporation reaches temporary service level agreement with province

IHIT investigating ‘suspicious’ death of Surrey man

Officers found the body while on foot patrol: Surrey RCMP

Most Read