A team of volunteers from North Langley Community Church dropped by Langley Lodge during the outbreak to say thanks to frontline workers for all they did during the long-term care centre’s COVID outbreak. (Special to Langley Advance Times)

Report raises questions about COVID outbreak that killed 25 seniors at Langley Lodge

CEO defends leaked document that’s igniting queries about BC’s most deadly COVID outbreak

Mistakes were made, but a 30-page report addressing B.C.’s most deadly coronavirus outbreak this spring at Langley Lodge was not intended to lay blame or point fingers, according to its author.

The report by Debra Hauptman, chief executive officer (CEO) of the long-term seniors care home on 204th Street in Langley City, was leaked to some Lower Mainland media. It chronicles the ordeal, and brings into question some of the protocols put in place and steps taken during two COVID-19 outbreaks at the centre that claimed the lives of 24 people directly and one indirectly.

“The intent of the report is to share our experience with other operators, to inform planning for further outbreaks, and for a potential second wave in the fall,” Hauptman said Thursday, defending her report.

“The intent of the report was not to shift blame or responsibility to other partners for events that unfolded during our outbreak,” she elaborated.

“It does highlight discovery of unanticipated impacts of COVID-19 in a long-term care home, and those discoveries led to responsive actions in a massive, coordinated effort to contain the spread of the virus,” Hauptman said.

RELATED: Langley Lodge reports one new COVID-19 death, bringing total to 24

Langley Lodge is a contracted long-term care facility operated by Langley Care Society, with about 140 residents and 150 staff.

It was hit with the first coronavirus outbreak at the end of March, when a staff member was diagnosed. That outbreak was declared over on April 23. Then the second outbreak was reported on April 28, during which 51 residents were diagnosed with COVID. Two dozen died, while 27 residents recovered. Since then, however, one of the patients who survived the virus has also succumbed to advanced dementia.

At one point, part way through the second outbreak in late May, Fraser Health took charge of the outbreak response at the seniors care home, sending in a germ-killing machine and a health authority director to oversee the pandemic response.

RELATED: Fraser Health takes charge of COVID response at Langley Lodge

“Langley Lodge is appreciative of the support from Fraser Health during our outbreak. The infection prevention and control specialists, added staffing support and overall pandemic coordination was necessary and the significant resources lead to a resolution of the outbreak,” said the CEO.

Hauptman said she wrote the report to “document the story and experience of a COVID-19 outbreak in Langley Lodge, a historical development in the organization’s 45 year history serving seniors in the South Fraser region.”

The report apparently offers a time frame of the events, a detailed overview of the incident, and some criticisms of how things were handled during the outbreak.

Langley Advance Times has requested a copy of the report from the non-profit organization overseeing operation of Langley Lodge. We have not, however, been among the media approaching staff and public in the centre’s parking lot.

“As Dr. Bonnie Henry mentions frequently, we are in this together, we are learning, and we are adapting as we move through this pandemic,” Hauptman said. “Certainly there were challenges and frustrations, yet there was resolution of the outbreak. This should create hope for other long-term care operators.”

RELATED STORIES:

• Canada Day serenade planned for Langley Lodge residents

• Langley Lodge’s deadly outbreak declared over

• Death toll rises in COVID-19 outbreak at Langley Lodge

• COVID claims 23rd Langley Lodge patient, making it the deadliest outbreak in B.C.

• Langley Lodge ordered to swab all residents staff, new cases discovered

• Stay tuned for more, as it comes available

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: news@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

CoronavirusLangleySeniors

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

About 2,000 people were without power in the Agassiz-Harrison area after a wire dropped on Morrow Road in Agassiz. (Contributed graphic/BC Hydro)
Power restored after downed line near Agassiz Christian School

Crews restored power after about four hours

Police tape is shown in Toronto Tuesday, May 2, 2017. (Graeme Roy/The Canadian Press)
CRIME STOPPERS: ‘Most wanted’ for the week of Oct. 18

Crime Stoppers’ weekly list based on information provided by police investigators

More and more electric cars are on the road, but one Chevy Bolt owner was shocked to see how much his BC Hydro bill skyrocketed once he started charging the vehicle. (Black Press file photo)
Rosedale man sees significant spike in BC Hydro bill after purchasing electrical vehicle

An increase should be expected, but Brian Chwiendacz experienced a 200-plus per cent hike

File Photo
Halloween and history collide in Agassiz this month

The spooky displays at the museum are on now until Halloween

Chilliwack-Kent 2020 provincial election candidates, clockwise from bottom left, Kelli Paddon (NDP), Eli Gagne (Libertarian), Jeff Hammersmark (Green), Jason Lum (Independent), and Laurie Throness, who began the campaign as a BC Liberal but left the party on Oct. 15.
Advance voting nears 5,000 in Chilliwack-Kent

More than 380,000 voters have voted in advance across B.C.

FILE – People wait in line at a COVID-19 testing facility in Burnaby, B.C., on Thursday, August 13, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
167 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death recorded as B.C. enters 2nd wave

Three new healthcare outbreaks also announced

This 2020 electron microscope image made available by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows a Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 particle isolated from a patient, in a laboratory in Fort Detrick, Md. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-NIAID/NIH via AP
At least 49 cases of COVID-19 linked to wedding in Calgary: Alberta Health

McMillan says the city of Calgary has recently seen several outbreaks linked to social gatherings

UBC geoscientists discovered the wreckage of a decades-old crash during an expedition on a mountain near Harrison Lake. (Submitted photo)
Wreckage of decades-old plane crash discovered on mountain near Harrison Lake

A team of Sts’ailes Community School students helped discover the twisted metal embedded in a glacier

Officers with the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team were at a White Rock home Tuesday (Oct. 20) to assist Vancouver Police Department with execution of a search warrant. (Contributed photo)
ERT, VPD response to White Rock home connected to homicide: police

Search underway in the 15800-block of Prospect Crescent

The official search to locate Jordan Naterer was suspended Saturday Oct. 17. Photo courtesy of VPD.
‘I am not leaving without my son,’ says mother of missing Manning Park hiker

Family and friends continue to search for Jordan Naterer, after official efforts suspended

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

A bear similar to this black bear is believed responsible for killing a llama in Saanich on Oct. 19. (Black Press Media file photo)
Bear kills llama on Vancouver Island, prompting concerns over livestock

Officers could not track the bear they feel may not fear humans

Bernard Trest and his son Max, 10, are concerned about B.C.’s plan for students in the classroom. He was one of two fathers who filed a court application in August to prevent schools from reopening if stricter COVID-19 protections weren’t in place. That application was dismissed last week. (Contributed photo)
B.C. dad pledges to appeal quashed call for mandatory masks, distancing in schools

Bernard Trest and Gary Shuster challenged health, education ministries’ return-to-school plan

Most Read