(Pixabay photo)

(Pixabay photo)

Six hospitalized after eating chili at Surrey school luncheon

School staff have since been released from hospital after eating the chili at Hjorth Road Elementary

GUILDFORD — A staff luncheon at Hjorth Road Elementary led to six employees being hospitalized Tuesday.

“Someone had brought in a chili and the six staff members that ate it felt ill shortly afterwards…. It was a meal one of the staff had brought in from home,” said district spokesman Doug Strachan.

“Because all had reacted in much the same way, ambulances were called to check them out.”

Strachan said all six were released within a few hours.

“There was only one classroom that needed to be covered for the afternoon and other than that, students were unaffected and largely unaware of the incident,” he noted.



amy.reid@surreynowleader.com

Like us on Facebook and follow Amy on Twitter

Amy Reid