Smart meters can’t be worse than microwaves

"Vastly intrigued as to the sensational documented cases where smart meters have caused appliances to blow up"

In response to Kathy Read’s letter to The Observer published on Friday 27 January I wish to make a few points about smart meters.

I note that Read cites research connecting the possibility of increased incidence of deadly glioblastoma brain tumors with cell  phone use. I still contend that there is no definitive research connecting the installation of smart meters with health issues.

The research on glioblastomas is extremently vague because the condition is so very rare, less than one person in thirty thousand contracts this fatal cancer. The statistical information over the last 50 years does not indicate a dramatic increase of this cancer and furthermore, there seems to be no difference in the incidence between those people who use cell phones on a regular basis and those who have never seen one.

The EMR emitted by Smart Meters is less than one hundredth that of a cellular telephone held to the ear and a mere fraction of the stray radiation from a domestic microwave oven. Because the meters are usually placed outside, the radiation from them is exponentially diminished by distance as to be virtually negligible inside the dwelling.

I would suggest to Read that if she is worried about the possible health issues related to EMR she should eliminate other sources of radiation within her house before taking issue with her smart meter.

The installation of new meters in a very old meter base could be a problem if the contacts are corroded. I feel sure that the installation technician would be able to determine that problem when removing the old meter. I am vastly intrigued as to the sensational documented cases where smart meters have caused appliances to blow up. The only time I have seen an appliance blow up was the time I put an egg in the microwave and turned it on!  Quite catastrophic!

Edward Monro

Just Posted

Harrison to replace final incandescent street lights with LEDs

The $186,000 project is the second-phase of a replacement plan for the village

Harrison Hot Springs to consider single-use plastics ban

Village staff will come back to council with a report on what a possible ban could look like

Wonder Pup book series by Chilliwack author teaches kids self-regulation skills

Author Angela Murphy and illustrator Davis Graham release first book Speak Up, Wonder Pup

Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge construction could start in 2021, MLA says

The project is expected to cost substantially more than budgeted in 2017

Fraser Valley developer offering to build barn owl nesting boxes for free

Gore Brothers says anyone with a suitable building can help the threatened raptor

VIDEO: Reading splashes into Agassiz’s Ferny Coombe Pool

The Agassiz Library held its annual Reading in the Pool event Friday, June 14

Metro Vancouver’s air quality could be the worst yet this wildfire season

As wildfire season approached, Metro Vancouver experts predict the air will be an issue for many

Demonstrators on either side of Trans Mountain debate clash in Vancouver

Crowd heard from member of Indigenous-led coalition that hopes to buy 51% of expansion project

Update: Multiple fires along the railway tracks in Pitt Meadows

CP rail has closed tracks while firefighters work

Grieving B.C. mom hopes Facebook message leads to new investigation into son’s Surrey homicide

Criminal Justice Branch didn’t lay charges, concluding no substantial likelihood of murder or manslaughter conviction

B.C.’s measles vaccination program gains traction in May

More than 15,000 doses of the MMR vaccine has been administered across the province

B.C. farmers concerned Agricultural Land Reserve changes choking their livelihood

Dozens voice concerns at special meeting hosted on Vancouver Island

UPDATE: Two-year-old involved in Chilliwack pool drowning has died

Toddler was reported to not be breathing as air ambulance called out Thursday afternoon

B.C. high school withdraws notices for temporary dress code

Parents previously told the Interior News they felt there was inadequate consultation over the rules

Most Read