Indigenous soccer championship cancelled due to poor air quality from Mt. Hicks wildfire

Indigenous Provincial Soccer Championships had plans to host 18 teams at Seabird Island Band

The 2018 Indigenous Provincial Soccer Championships have been cancelled, as the air quality in the Eastern Fraser Valley remains at a high risk.

The Mt. Hicks wildfire has not only prompted evacuation alerts, road closures and the rerouting of 2,500 bikers in the Ride to Conquer Cancer, it has led to the cancellation of a province-wide Indigenous soccer tournament hosted by the Seabird Island Band. The fire, now at 4.22 square kilometres and 70 per cent contained, is burning less than 10 kilometres from Seabird.

As late as last week the tournament was planned go ahead despite wildfire activity, but was cancelled early this week due to concerns about air quality said Alissa Assu with the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Council (ISPARC).

The air quality has remained in the high risk levels throughout the week, hovering between eight and 10+, the highest point on the air quality health index (AQHI).

“Once the AQHI reaches 8-10, its advised for everyone to avoid strenuous activities outdoors. The conditions are not predicted to improve and the risk within the region remains too high,” a post on the event’s Facebook page read.

“We appreciate your understanding with this decision as the health and safety of our youth and communities must be put first.”

Eighteen teams from across B.C., from the U12 to U17 age groups were planning to participate in the Aug. 23 to 25 event.

Teams were coming in from Northern B.C., with some traveling for up to 20 hours to reach the Fraser Valley. The decision was made to cancel the tournament before these teams started their travels, said Seabird’s chief administrative officer Chuck McNeil.

Related coverage:

Ride to Conquer Cancer re-routed away from Mt. Hicks wildfire

Evacuation alert issued for Kamp Road properties as Mount Hicks fire moves west


Is there more to this story?


news@hopestandard.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival explodes in popularity, draws thousands to Mission, Harrison Mills

Weather, news, social media contribute to high turnout, says president

Wide variety of art for sale at Art from the Heart show

Student art show runs Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the Chilliwack Cultural Centre

Blues group Angel Forrest Trio at Bozzini’s in Chilliwack

Award-winning band from Quebec performs Nov. 28

District of Kent to implement snow fence pilot project

$8,000 project to help prevent hazardous, drifting snow, and more from Kent council

PHOTOS: Fraser Valley Eagle Festival

Mission photographer Bob Friesen shares some of his images with the Record

VIDEO: B.C. legislature clerk, sergeant at arms suspended for criminal investigation

Clerk of the House Craig James, Sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz on administrative leave

$90,000 pen from space created by B.C man

The Space pen is made from a meteorite

B.C. woman fined $2,300 for clocking 215 km/hr in Alberta

It’s the highest fine Alberta police have issued

Police renew call to ID suspect who pushed Surrey man into traffic near PNE

VPD haven’t received enough tips in the months since

5 to start your day

Police try to thwart retaliation after Hells Angels member killed, criminal investigation at B.C. legislature and more

Watchdog calls for probe into police board spending on former Victoria police chief

Police Complaint Commissioner says accountable and transparent review is in public interest

South Korean named Interpol president in blow to Russia

South Korea’s Kim Jong Yang was elected as Interpol’s president edging out a longtime veteran of Russia’s security services.

E. coli outbreak linked to romaine lettuce sickens 18 people in Ontario, Quebec

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it’s working with U.S. authorities to determine the source of the romaine lettuce those who got ill were exposed to.

Trump defies calls to punish crown prince for writer’s death

The U.S. earlier sanctioned 17 Saudi officials suspected of being responsible for or complicit in the Oct. 2 killing, but members of Congress have called for harsher actions, including cancelling arms sales.

Most Read