What have the Lions done lately?
Last week, we highlighted some of our past achievements. This time ’round we fast forward to this year.
Since June, 2013, the Agassiz-Harrison Lions Club has financially supported the following local causes:
• Community Drivers Program. All $2,000 net proceeds from this summer fundraiser went toward offsetting user fees.
• Bursaries for four AESS grads. We gladly award a total of $3,000 annually to help our young people fulfill their future goals.
• D.A.R.E. the RCMP provincial drug awareness program taught here in Agassiz, received funds. We are one of two provincial Lions Clubs to support this program and the only local sponsor.
• Contributed a substantial amount to help a local family who lost all in a fire
• Agassiz Scouts whose young muscles are very appreciated helping us set up and take down equipment at our fundraisers.
• Drag racing team at AESS to offset costs of a new trailer. Thanks to the team for sporting a Lions logo on their vehicle! Roar on racers!!!
• Agassiz Speedway to offset needed repairs to the track and environs
• Spooktacular. We provide the funds for the prizes man the “Boo Bank”, supply and serve the hot dogs. Many thanks to those who donated to offset our costs. And, we had fun dressing up too!
• Agassiz Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion Remembrance Day wreath. Our deepest thanks to all vets. Without your service and sacrifice, none of our community service works would be possible.
Your local Lions have re-invested almost $8,600 back into Agassiz within the last six months alone. National and international donations raise the figure to almost $9,400. Not bad for a small pride of Lions!
Help us continue our work. Support our 50th Anniversary Celebration, March 8. Dinner, dance, prizes. Tickets are $60 per person. Call Jean at 604-794-7503, Joey at 604-796-9951, or see Darcy at Lordco, or Barb at Workplace BC.