RCMP dogs patrol the grounds at Kent Elementary School Thursday

Agassiz, Harrison schools locked down following telephone threat

RCMP search schoolgrounds during May 7 Kent Elementary lockdown

Local schools were locked down last week following a threatening phone call to Kent Elementary School.

The call came in around 2 p.m. last Thursday, May 7. Principal Stan Watchorn says the school was put in lock down until the situation could be assessed. Members from Agassiz and Chilliwack detachments attended the scene as well as integrated police dog services and the emergency response team.

”The RCMP immediately responded when we were called with all our resources,” states Cpl. Mike Rail, RCMP spokesman.

Concerned parents gathered past the police perimeter as RCMP officers combed the school grounds meticulously, starting with guns drawn looking into windows at the school, followed by searches of the parking lot, playground, surrounding neighbourhoods and even the school roof.

“The kids and the staff were great, and the RCMP could not have done a better job in my view,” says Watchorn. “They responded immediately, kept us informed inside about what was going on and they obviously did a thorough and very careful analysis of the situation.”

While the threatening phone call was directed towards Kent Elementary, all area schools were put in lockdown to follow safety protocols, says Rail, including Agassiz Elementary Secondary School, Agassiz Christian School and Harrison Hot Springs Elementary School.

“There was a thorough, thorough search of the entire area and nobody was located,” Rail explains.

Parents waited anxiously, blocked at the intersection of Vimy Road and McCullough Road while RCMP searched. Shortly after 3 p.m., RCMP told parents that the area was clear. Students who had been away on a field trip would be bussed back to the scene, followed by bus students being picked up then parents could pick up their children. Shortly after 3:30 p.m., all parents were allowed on-site to pick up their children, relief evident on their faces.

“Everyone is safe,” reports Rail. “All children were safe, there were no injuries.”

As of Monday afternoon, no one has been taken into custody as a result of the phone call. Rail says RCMP are still investigating.

Watchorn was impressed with the professionalism of RCMP, staff and students during the lockdown.

“It was obviously stressful because we didn’t know exactly what was going on in terms of the significance of the threat,” says Watchorn. “But the RCMP were amazing and the kids and the staff, in spite of all the stress, handled it in the most professional way.”

When bus students were ready to go, Watchorn went out to parents personally to let them know they would be able to pick up their children soon.

One thing Watchorn advises to caregivers if another lockdown occurs is to not phone the school.

“We had a lot of phonecalls coming in from worried parents,” he reports. “In a lockdown situation, we’re not able to answer the phone.”

Just Posted

Agassiz teacher’s Amazing Race takes students on Canada-wide adventure

AESS student say they had the experience of a life time

WATCH: Brother of missing Hope woman makes emotional appeal for more media attention

Next search for Shawnee Inyallie Nov. 18 along Highway 1 towards Boston Bar

Gas price drop expected to hit Fraser Valley today

Analyst says to take advantage, warns slight increase may follow

Chilliwack teen to take on the world after winning Canadian junior dog-handling national championship

Chilliwack’s Kayla Penney is heading to Crufts to compete for her first international title

Fashion Fridays: 5 coats you need this winter!

Kim XO, lets you know the best online shopping tips during Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Federal fall update expected to offer more support for struggling news industry

Ottawa committed $50 million over five years for local journalism in ‘underserved communities’ last budget

VIDEO: Stan Lee leaves posthumous message for his fans

Marvel Comics’ co-creator died on Monday at the age of 95

$136M in transit funding coming to B.C.

The announcement was made at the BC Transit yard in Langford on Friday morning

Ottawa apologizes to Japanese family in B.C. after chopping historic cherry trees

Plaque installed in Prince Rupert to honour the memory of Shotaro Shimizu

Two B.C. police officers, held in Cuba for months, cleared of sex assault allegations

Port Moody Const. Jordan Long and Vancouver Const. Mark Simms have been in Cuba since March

Sunrise ceremony at B.C. legislature honours Louis Riel

Nov. 16 marks the 133rd anniversary of the Métis leader’s death

5 to start your day

BC Hydro says outages have tripled in the last five years, two men charged after alleged butter thefts and more

California wildfire death toll hits 63

Sheriff says hundreds still missing in nation’s deadliest wildfire

Most Read