One side of a duplex on Logan Road caught fire Saturday afternoon.

Area firefighters battle Agassiz house fire

Crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Harrison Hot Springs tackled the flaming duplex on Logan Road Saturday

Fire crews from Agassiz, Popkum and Harrison Hot Springs were on scene to battle a duplex structure fire on Logan Road late Saturday afternoon.

Just across Morrow Road, the Agassiz fire department received the page at 5:50 p.m. and arrived to contain the blaze soon after.

“There were three children home at the time,” said Agassiz fire chief Wayne Dyer. “We’re just lucky the fire vented out through the window—all the heat went out that window instead of the rest of the house.”

All residents got out of the building and were checked over by BC Ambulance. No one was sent to the hospital.

The fire started in the upper floor bedroom by a failed electrical heater that was too close to bedding.

Fire fighters contained the fire to the bedroom where it started, but there was heavy smoke and heat damage to that side of the structure.

The other side of the duplex also took smoke damage.

A six-foot ball python and two kittens were also saved from the fire by fire crews.

In all, 20 Agassiz firefighters were joined by five Popkum and five Harrison members to tackle the flames.

Chief Dyer also credits some newly installed gear for the quick containment.

A telescoping monitor allowed his team to quickly and remotely stream water through the home’s windows to cool it down before crews went in and “mopped up.”

 

 

 

Just Posted

Kent-Harrison Foundation celebrates 25 years

The foundation started in 1994 on the promise of a two-for-one donation deal

Bucket-list flight for Chilliwack grandmother

Hampton House resident treated to a beautiful plane ride in Moments that Matter

Lagoon improvements, but no safety audit recommendations, coming to Harrison

The lagoon will see electrical upgrades, a new flag pole and fencing, but no life jackets or signs

UFV introduces first mindfulness graduate program in Canada

Most of the University of the Fraser Valley program is offered online

Chilliwack churns out new generation of wildfire fighters

School district partners with B.C. Wildfire Service to prep Grade 12s for careers

Harrison Hot Springs students bring ‘Twelfth Night’ to life

The adaption of Shakespeare’s classic comedy include songs and phrases from Canada’s east coast

Sentencing judge in Broncos crash calls for carnage on highways to end

Judge Inez Cardinal sentenced Jaskirat Singh Sidhu to eight years

2 fires in Victoria caused by cigarettes prompts warning from deputy fire chief

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

98-year-old cyclist in critical condition after struck by car in Abbotsford

83-year-old driver stayed on scene and did not suffer any injuries in the incident

Wildlife activists slam B.C. business, clubs for ‘wolf-whacking’ contests

Chilcotin Guns, Creston Valley Rod and Gun Club and West Kootenay Outdoorsmen Club under fire

VIDEO: Giants take a 1-0 playoff series lead

Vancouver beat Seattle 7-1 in game one of the best-of-seven Western Conference series in Langley

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Boy who went missing from park remains largest probe in Victoria police history

The four-year old Victoria boy went missing without a trace on March 24, 1991

Six ‘distraction thefts’ in two days spark warning to seniors by Vancouver police

Distraction thefts are used to steal jewelry off the necks of unsuspecting women

Most Read