Hatzic Prairie is now under an evacuation order.
The Fraser Valley Regional District (FVRD) issued the order today (Dec. 3) at noon, due to “immediate danger to life, health, and property because of heavy rainfall and debris jams causing overland flooding from Lagace Creek, Dale Creek, Hatzic Slough, and other watercourses.”
According to the FVRD website “There may be varying degrees of floodwater depth on your property. The Evacuation Order has been issued due to limited road access. Please be aware that on-site water and septic systems may cease to function when flooded.”
The order applies to all properties shown in red on the map above.
Properties surrounding the evacuation order remain on evacuation alert.
The order includes properties on Dale Road, Farms Road, Patterson Road, Riverside Road and Youngston Road.
For a complete list of properties, visit www.fvrd.ca
Residents in the area are being told to leave immediately and should:
- Be ready with 72 hour emergency supply
- Close all windows and doors
- Shut off gas and electrical appliances. Leave your refrigerators and freezers on.
- Close gates and latch but do not lock
- Gather your family; assist a neighbour or someone else who needs help
- Take critical items if they are immediately available (medicine, ID, cash/cards, keys)
- Take pets in kennels or on leashes. (Keep tropical pets in their cages and containers).
- Do not use more vehicles than you have to
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service (text family and friends or post to social media)
- Register with Evacuee Support Services (ESS) to report that you have safely left the area
- Register with the Red Cross to be notified when services become available
- Tune in to Local Radio Stations
If you can’t self-transport and all neighbours have left, call FVRD Emergency Operations Centre: 778-704-0400 or 911.