Teacher Jen Anglehart presented Jaden Chapman with a new longboard

Hero emerges out of house fire

14-year old credited with saving houseful of people in early morning fire

A young man became a local hero after he saved the lives of five others in a recent house fire.

Jaden Chapman, 14, was asleep in the early morning of Sunday, June 14 in a friend’s house on Sachem Road at Sts’ailes. He woke to the sound of pictures falling off the wall.

“I went to go look, and the fire popped right up,” he explains. “Everyone else was sleeping and didn’t hear it.”

Chapman immediately jumped into action. He quickly woke up his friends who were downstairs with him then called to the mother and child asleep upstairs. The fire, which had started in the kitchen, had already filled the stairs. Chapman and the others coached the child upstairs to jump out of the second floor window while the mom dashed downstairs through the flames to get outside.

When fire crews arrived, all the house’s occupants were out and accounted for on the lawn. Fire crews worked to stop the blaze before it burnt the downstairs to the ground, explains Sts’ailes Fire Chief Tim Felix.

“It took us six minutes to get there. In that six minutes from the call, the whole house was engulfed,” explains Felix.

The fire chief speaks highly of Chapman for his actions that day.

“He’s a brave young man. A lot of kids would have buckled under pressure and run out of the house in fear. He had it in his mind and heart to save them,” says Felix. “He has a lot of courage.”

Chapman’s teachers at Sts’ailes Community School agree with Felix. In a traditional ceremony on the final day of the school year, Chapman was recognized for his bravery.

“He did something extraordinary, which in our minds and I’m sure in yours, makes him a hero,” said Principal Bill Dietrich. “Thank you for being an extraordinary person.”

His teachers gifted Chapman, who lost most of what he has in the fire, a new longboard and speaker. Chapman, who stood serious and humble during the entire ceremony, grinned when some young children also gave him a bag of chips and sports drink, because after all the hard work of saving everyone, he would be thirsty and hungry.

Chapman’s family is proud of him too. His mother, grandmother and great grandmother attended the presentation June 24.

“He’s our hero,” Joan Chapman, his great grandmother, states simply.

Chapman says after the fire, he was in a state of shock and felt depressed. When asked if there are ways the larger community can help him, Chapman said he was OK. The Sts’ailes community has banded together to help Chapman and the displaced family. The little money he had to his name, Chapman actually donated to the family he was staying with, to help them get back on their feet.

The fire started in the kitchen after the adult in the house was cooking and accidentally fell asleep.

The child who jumped out the second floor window was miraculously unscathed, but the mom came away with burns on her feet, arms and neck. She was transported to Chilliwack Hospital for treatment. She is now out of the hospital and on the road to recovery, reports Felix.

 

Just Posted

Fundraiser for teenager hit by car in Rosedale

Teen suffering multiple fractures and blood clots following incident on Yale Road

Vedder River cleanup nets bag of discarded sex toys

Chilliwack volunteers stumble on unexpected find while removing 600 lbs of trash from riverway

Hikers alert after woman approached by suspicious man in Harrison Mills

The woman and her family were hiking in the wetlands between Rowena’s Inn and Sts’ailes First Nation

Chilliwack International Spring Film Series returns to Cottonwood 4 Cinemas

Put a spring in your step with the Chilliwack International Spring Film Series’ feature titles

EDITORIAL: No think-tank report cards for the Observer

Fraser Institute’s annual school ranking isn’t a good measure of success, editor Grace Kennedy writes

Film crews descend on Agassiz for ‘Republic of Sarah’

Pioneer Avenue will be closed to traffic Monday and Tuesday

Sentencing begins for indecent caller

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

COLUMN: Smart phone too powerful a tool to yank from students’ hands

Rather than ban them from schools, let’s teach kids to harness their phone’s power and use it properly

Trudeau sells housing plan in visit to hot real estate market in B.C.

Trudeau said the budget contains measures to help first-time buyers

Most Read