No evidence found that girl, 6, was assaulted near her school: Vancouver police

Police said the investigation remains active and ongoing, but that investigators have interviewed many

Vancouver police say investigators have not found anything to corroborate claims that a six-year-old girl was lured from an elementary school and sexually assaulted earlier this month.

On Dec. 12, police announced they were investigating the alleged incident at Sexsmith Elementary School in South Vancouver. According to police, it was believed the child was lured from the playground, assaulted by a man and brought back to the school.

But in a news release Friday, police said its Sex Crimes Unit has investigated several tips from the public – including video footage, interviewed staff and students and canvassed the neighbourhood.

Sgt. Jason Robillard said the investigation will remain active and ongoing.

When the investigation was announced, police said the suspect was described as a darker-skinned man, approximately 30 years old, with brown or grey hair and was wearing grey pants.

“We feel this is an important update for parents, staff, students and the broader community to be aware of,” he said. “Investigating any allegation that affects one’s personal safety, especially the health and safety of a child, is a priority for the Vancouver Police.”


@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Kent Elementary launches food voucher program

Breakfast, lunch now grocery vouchers amid pandemic

LETTER: A bribe at worst, dangerous at best

Min Wendel of Agassiz condemns the development push for Teacup

School board OK’s sports medicine course

Approves 2020-2021 calendar during March meeting

Honk if you’re in Harrison

Despite COVID-19 restrictions in place, flights flagrantly disregard the rules and are… Continue reading

LETTER: Shades of gray in Teacup debate

Laurens Van Vliet of Agassiz has mixed thoughts about the exclusion application

Look at hospitalizations, not recovery stats for COVID-19, B.C. professor says

Cases in hospital are a definitive count of people who have the novel coronavirus

B.C. First Nations want to launch fight of Trans Mountain pipeline approval

Last month, the Supreme Court of Canada decided not to hear five challenges about the pipeline

N95 masks on the way for Canada after 3M reaches deal with White House

The Trump White House had ordered 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada

Here’s how to talk to people who aren’t taking physical distancing seriously

Approach the conversation with empathy says conflict expert

Fraser Valley auto sound business starts producing face shields

Certified Auto Sound & Security is doing what it can to help frontline healthcare workers.

B.C. clears more acute hospital beds as COVID-19 case growth slows

Province holding about 40% of beds empty for peak still to come

As 500K+ apply for emergency benefit, Trudeau says aid coming for Canadians left behind

Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides $2,000 per month

UPDATE: UK PM Boris Johnson moved to intensive care after COVID-19 symptoms worse

He has been quarantined in his Downing St. residence since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26

Most Read