(Agassiz Fire Department/Facebook)

(Agassiz Fire Department/Facebook)

Powerful manure smell mistaken for natural gas leak in Agassiz

For suspected gas leaks, call 911

In agriculture, it’s said the smell of manure is the smell of money.

If that’s true, Wednesday evening’s “money” practically broke the bank.

The Agassiz Fire Department (AFD) was called to Pioneer Avenue just after 5 p.m. on Feb. 9 after several businesses along the street called in, concerned that a particularly pungent smell may be a natural gas leak.

Thankfully, the culprit was something much less dangerous.

” I can confirm that the odor was associated with the spreading of manure by a local farm,” said AFD fire chief Gerald Basten. “Fortis was also dispatched to the incident but were cancelled by the AFD after the report was confirmed to not be related to natural gas.”

The concerned businesses did the correct thing in calling in the then-suspicious smell; natural gas has what’s described as a “rotten eggs” odour. If that odour is detected or there are other indications of a gas leak, Basten said the windows and doors should be left open if it’s safe to do so. This saturates the gas building with air and lessens and the possibility of an explosion.

“Call 911 and the fire department will attend to investigate, and if necessary, Fortis B.C. will attend as well,” Basten said.


@adamEditor18
adam.louis@ ahobserver.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

agassizHarrison Hot Springs

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in you inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up