Skip to content

UPDATE: Several pets perish in early morning fire that destroyed house near downtown Chilliwack

Family of 4 escaped the blaze reported in at 4:45 a.m. on Monday, fundraising for family has begun
31915218_web1_230220-CPL-Fire-Arson-fire_2

Several family pets were killed and one person was injured in an early morning fire at a house on Victoria Avenue in Chilliwack Monday.

The Chilliwack Fire Department reported being dispatched at 4:45 a.m. to the structure fire in the 45000-block of Victoria.

Thirty firefighters responded from Halls 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6, and on arrival, reported seeing heavy fire and black smoke venting from the home. A man, a woman and two children were at home and asleep at the time the fire started, and were awakened by the smell of smoke.

“Fortunately, all occupants were able to evacuate the home prior to the arrival of fire crews,” assistant chief Andrew Brown said in a press release.

Fire crews called for a second alarm and worked quickly to perform an exterior attack on the fire, while securing a water supply to bring the fire under control allowing fire crews to transition into an interior fire attack and building search, enabling fire crews to rescue several family pets.

Fire crews prevented the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings, containing the fire to the building of origin, which suffered major fire damage.

One occupant received minor injuries escaping the fire, and several pets perished in the fire. There were no firefighter injuries.

A man and his wife and two boys aged 11 and five were the ones in the house who escaped the fire. Several guinea pigs died, and while it was originally reported a cat died, a family member said the cat is missing and may have escaped the fire. A family dog also escaped the fire.

This fire is under investigation by the Chilliwack Fire Department and RCMP fire investigators.

If anyone has any information about this fire, they are asked to call the RCMP at 604-792-4611 or anonymously through Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or www.upperfraservalleycrimestoppers.ca.

Jennifer Adams said her brother and his family lived in the house and lost everything.

“They lost some pets and need things,” Adams said. “They thankfully made it out. They lost everything they own, they lost their house.”

A GoFundMe has also been set up by M. R. Boone whose sister was the woman who escaped the fire.

“I’m asking the community to come together for my sister’s family to help her rebuild, settle into a new home and provide the creature comforts needed for her kids to get thru this traumatic event,” Boone said on the GoFundMe here.

RELATED: Chilliwack Fire Department investigating five small but suspicious fires


Do you have something to add to this story, or something else we should report on? Email:
editor@theprogress.com

@PeeJayAitch
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
31915218_web1_230220-CPL-Fire-Arson-fire_3




Pop-up banner image